Green salad and feta on toasted flour tortillas with spicy jalapeño jam
I love scallops pan fried with a little garlic butter but smoking them slightly just add’s another level of flavour to the dish. Try this at home for your next dinner party or hire takefood to come make it for you. Also great for a wedding breakfast.
Oven temp: 170˚c
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
12 native scallops
3 strips of butchers smoked streaky bacon
1 large beetroot roasted until soft
1 purple cauliflower or white
Cracked black pepper
100g of good quality black pudding
Cold pressed rapeseed oil
3 walnuts cracked open
Heavy based frying pan
Magi-mix | Blender
- Put an old pan on the stove and add in some oak chips or tea leaves and place a sieve over the top. Once it starts to smoke place the scallops and roe in then place a piece of kitchen foil over the top and allow to smoked for 3 minutes.
- Smoke the scallops for about 3 minutes then separate the bright orange roe from the scallops, remove the sinew and put the roe in a blender with softened butter and blitz until smooth. Keep in the fridge until required. To serve sandwich between 2 crisp slices of brioche and garnish with dill. You can serve this as “smoked coral brioche toast” canapés or serve it as part of the dish.
- Blow torch and finish in a hot oven for a few minutes or pan fry the scallops to brown and cook through in the pan with butter and garlic.
- Lay the bacon out on a tray and cook in the oven until crisp and then break into small shards.
- Cook the black pudding and crumble into small bits.
- Puree the cooked beetroot with a little rapeseed oil. Cut small florets from the cauliflower and toss in a little oil and sea salt then roast until al dente.
- To serve spread a little beetroot puree on the plate then place the scallops and bacon in the centre. Garnish with black pudding, cauliflower, herbs and mustard leaves, crush a walnut half around the plate and drizzle with rapeseed oil.
Serve with a cold white wine or a light red wine if you prefer.
Join Our Newsletter